What to Expect
During your initial consultation at Chasing the Wind Acupuncture & Holistic Medicine we will thoroughly go over your health history, listen to your health concerns, give a treatment and create a treatment plans that makes sense to you. Treatment can also include Tuina or myofascial massage, Guasha, cupping, Chinese herbal medicine or supplements depending on what your complaint is. We will monitor your improvement and changes each time you come in.
If you are a new patient please come to the clinic 15 minutes before initial treatment so that you will have time to fill out the required paperwork.
A few additional things to keep in mind:
- Please speak softly when you enter our clinic. Our space is very open and flowing so sound carries easily. Your treatment will be private and discrete but we strive to keep a quiet and calm environment for our patients.
- Please download and fill out your patient intake forms before your appointment. If you are unable to do this please be ready to do so on your first visit.
- Come to the office 15 minutes early for your first appointment. This allows us to have you fill out your intake forms (if not already done) and other confidentiality paperwork before your appointment. We strive to keep a punctual schedule for all of our patients.
- Eat a small snack before you come and make sure that you are well hydrated.
- Wear loose fitting clothes so that we are able to access your skin for inserting acupuncture needles.
- Finally be ready to ask any questions that may arise so that your experience is comfortable and safe.
What is Acupuncture
Acupuncture is an ancient healing art that originated in China approximately 4000 years ago. Extremely fine needles are inserted into specific points on the body to elicit a healing response and balance the energy of the body. From a western biomedical perspective acupuncture elicits a neurological response from the body causing a release of hormones and endorphins while also increasing blood flow and calming the nervous system.
Is Acupuncture Painful?
Acupuncture is not painful. You will feel a slight pinching sensation as the needles are inserted and a feeling of distension as the needle is inserted to the proper depth. Our practitioners are highly trained in painless needle insertion and we pride ourselves on this. There are unusual sensations you may feel as your body is balancing such as cool or warm sensations, tingling, or buzzing but none of these are or should be painful. If a needle feels uncomfortable let your practitioner know as soon as possible and they will adjust it so that you can relax and receive the benefits of your treatment. Acupuncture is in fact very relaxing and many patients actually fall asleep during their treatment.
What results should I expect from a treatment?
Everyone reacts differently to treatment. Some people will feel a difference immediately while others may take a few treatments before they are aware of the changes taking place in their body. You may feel relaxed or energized after your treatment and the full effects of the treatment will manifest a day or two after your appointment.
How many treatments will I need?
The amount of treatments that you need will be based on your condition. Acute problems that have not been present for long resolve fairly quickly in most cases requiring 3-5 treatments. Chronic problems or health conditions that have been present for years take much longer for full resolution. For stress relief and general health maintenance 1-2 treatments a month are sufficient. If you don’t feel any shifts in your health after 3-5 treatments your practitioner will speak with you to see if other treatment options are going to be more beneficial to your healing process. We are happy to refer you to other modalities that may help you if our treatments do not. Our primary concern is seeing you
Booking is made easy: